5/18/2008

Where is coffee

Can someone in a coma be saved? I mean, be really saved, put their trust in Jesus as their savior. Did she really think about the things that I said about God? Did she see Christ and wonder who He was when she came to the Christmas party? Did the one time at the English Bible study make her really think about where she would go if she died?

Lynn was the one to really want to get to know me at first. I came into her coffee shop, it is right across from our house, it is called "Where is Coffee", no question mark just "Where is Coffee". I always wondered if it was supposed to mean "where coffee is", like "you can find coffee here!" Or "Where is Coffee?" like a question that is so obvious because it IS a coffee shop. Any way, I remember walking in, there was no one around, I started looking at the coffee contraptions and things she was selling, not sure yet if I was going to buy any coffee. Sorta pretended that I was thinking about buying a coffee grinder by asking questions about the ones she had and what one she would recommend. She knew a little English, said something about wishing she had studied English harder in school. She made a cup of coffee for me to try right then and there, I did not even ask for any. It was on the house! I told her I would not mind helping her with her English. And I told her I could not be paid, I said we would just be friends. She said, I'll give you free coffee! she was always smiling and had a twinkle in her eye. She was so excited! And and kept saying "I am so lucky!"

I did not visit her as much as I wish I did, but that is life I guess. She knew my little sisters too. She would watch them play in the park right across from her coffee shop. The girls would come in sometimes. And she took Hannah and I to the pet store so that Hannah could pick out some fish for her fish tank in the coffee shop. She was intrigued by Hannah's energy for life, pretty soon Hannah was doing the chalk art for her sign out front. Hannah also talked to her about Jesus at times. I would constantly try and pay for my coffee, getting away with paying for half once and then another time hiding the money under her laptop. She would "fish sit" for Hannah, and even transferred Hannah's fish into a nicer and bigger bowl so that she had a nice surprise when she got her fish back. The last time Hannah drew on the chalk board, Mom helped with the words, Hannah did the drawing and Lydia sat on Lynn's lap. Lynn helped her color in some of Hannah's work.

Lynn is one of those we pray for on a constant basis. People that we get to know here, people that God just puts right in front of us. To love and be a light to, and share the reason for the hope we have, and to share the purpose to their life.

Why am I crying? I pray that she will make it, even though it is impossible. I know everything is possible with Christ. But as Hannah has been praying "your will be done, in Jesus name. Amen".
God knows the bigger picture. This world is not all there is. God has a plan, and even though we have made a mess of things, God is working everything together for good.

Dad and Mom went into the shop this evening. Her husband Jack took Mom's hands and said. "she is not OK... She will not be OK"
Mom said "I know".
We knew that before the only option was a heart transplant. She had collapsed at the Hospital. She'd already been to the Clinic before, and they said "take this pain reliever, and you'll be fine. It's just a headache." She would have already been gone if she had collapsed at home.
Jack, came back to Mom and Dad, and took Mom's hands again and said "tomorrow she will...." and then made the sign with his finger that means death/dying. All we can figure is she is so bad off, that after about 15 days in a coma, they are going to "pull the plug".

It is now 39 min into tomorrow. Please pray for Lynn and her husband and family. She did not have any children, just a few Chihuahuas and fish. :-) Please also pray for those we are in contact with all the time. That we will say what God wants us to say. Of course there are regrets and what ifs. But Christ is the author and finisher of my faith, and He is that to all the rest of His children, and I can rest in that.

2 comments:

Teresa said...

waiting for your update.... ;)

Anonymous said...

Hi Naomi, My prayers and my heart are with you all right now. I just had a cousin of mine die and I never knew for sure if he was a Christian. The burden is so strong and I know God hears our heart felt prayers as we plead for their salvation. We can only trust that He will draw her into His presense since it is His heart as well that she be saved. Is not God so gracious to have put you right across from her shop and given you all opportunities to share the gospel with her before this happened! Big Hugs to all of you.
Nancy